ICD-10 code - Osteochondrosis of the spine (M42)
Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine is a degenerative-dystrophic lesion in the spine. This disease of the lumbosacral spine is one of the most common in modern medicine. In both women and men, the disease can cause temporary disability as well as disability.
Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine has a chronic course, with a period of exacerbation.
Sources of the disease
Medicine does not name unequivocal causes that can cause such a disease in both women and men. So we can conclude that the disease is multifactorial. The most popular theory for the development of the disease is a systematic process of tension of the muscular system, non-physiological muscle tension, as a result of which the spinal segments are overloaded, their blood circulation deteriorates. This results in degeneration of the intervertebral discs, leading to osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine.
The following causes of the disease in women and men are no less common:
- Causes that lie in endocrine and metabolic disorders.
- Causes consisting of hereditary predisposition to the disease.
- Causes resulting from microtraumas as well as autoimmune diseases.
- Causes that are associated with pathological processes of internal organs.
People who have suffered a back injury or who lead a sedentary lifestyle are most prone to developing osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine.
Symptoms of the disease
Medicine will highlight the following symptoms manifested in different degrees of the disease in both women and men:
- 1 degree.You may notice the appearance of pain that causes irritation of the nerve endings. There are local, acute or dull symptoms of lumbar spine pain. Quite often the pain manifests itself elsewhere and is called a reflex. The following symptoms may also be noted: impaired circulation of limbs and ligaments, as well as internal organs. As a result of impaired blood circulation, symptoms of pain in the area of attachment of the ligaments to the bone appear. Seals are also seen in this area. There are symptoms of pain in the lumbosacral segment, which radiate to the lower extremities. The urinary system may be impaired.
- 2nd degree.You may notice symptoms of discomfort in the lumbar spine, constant muscle fatigue.
- 3rd degree.There are symptoms associated with radicular syndrome. Such symptoms, caused by radicular syndrome, consist in a violation of the sensitivity of the affected area. Symptoms associated with radicular syndrome do not appear immediately. In the beginning its symptoms are expressed in hypersensitivity, burning, tingling. Subsequently, a tingling sensation appears, up to complete loss of sensitivity. Symptoms associated with radicular syndrome cause dysfunction of the motor system, including paralysis and atrophy. Also, the symptoms associated with radicular syndrome are the manifestation of pain that is localized along the legs. In addition to the signs of radicular syndrome, there is a violation of the sensitivity and motor function of the lower extremities.
- 4th degree.The symptoms of pain with radicular syndrome are less pronounced. At the same time, the range of motion of the spine is limited.
The doctor makes a diagnosis based on the diagnosis. MRI, ECG, ultrasound and other tests will help to establish the correct diagnosis. You also need to have an X-ray.
How to treat lumbar osteochondrosis in women and men? Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine involves complex treatment that lasts a long time. As a rule, such treatment works at an advanced stage of the disease, when there are many protrusions or intervertebral hernias.
Treatment should be chosen and carried out strictly individually in each case.
The treatment of muscle spasms should be carried out with the help of drugs - muscle relaxants.
Medicine determines that treatment with muscle relaxants, along with the use of NSAIDs, physiotherapy and massage, contribute to faster recovery.
Blockade as a cure
Blockade in osteochondrosis consists of injections of drugs that are injected into the affected area. Treatment with a method such as blockade will help relieve pain immediately. The blockade consists of local anesthetics.
Treatment in this way, such as novocaine blockade, is the most popular in modern medicine. To relieve pain, the blockade is performed once every three days. It may also be noted that blockade for osteochondrosis is the safest method of treatment.
The blockade generally does not cause side effects, as the effect of the drug is local. It is possible to carry out treatment with such a method as blockade indefinitely, with each exacerbation of the disease.
In addition, to relieve pain, the blockade is used to eliminate inflammation, swelling and improve metabolism. To prolong the therapeutic effect, such a method as blockade should include several drugs simultaneously (novocaine and corticosteroids). The blockade should be performed by an experienced physician.
Proper nutrition is the key to health
In the case of osteochondrosis, as with any other disease, the diet should be balanced, low in calories, rich in various vitamins and minerals.
The diet of both women and men should be rich in collagen, which acts as a chondroprotector.
Jelly fish and aspic are saturated with this component. If you include jelly meat in your diet, you can significantly improve the condition of connective tissue. Also, nutrition should include a sufficient amount of fluid intake to maintain the condition of the tissues in the intervertebral discs.
There is a different diet for people with osteochondrosis. Who is appropriate for each case, the doctor will determine.
Hoop as a means of prevention
Such an instrument as a hoop has been known since the time of our parents. The hoop is used both to improve well-being and to maintain the figure. You can spin the hoop both at home and in the gym. The most important advantage is the presence of gymnastics and simplicity.
But treatment with such a method as a hoop has its drawbacks. Before turning the hoop, you should consult a doctor. If there is a hernia of the lumbar region, it is forbidden to twist the hoop. If a chest diagnosis is made, preventative exercises can be done.
If you rotate the hoop of a person healthy from osteochondrosis, you can improve the functioning of the back muscles. Also, the hoop contributes to the active functioning of the spine, which is an excellent prophylactic.
In summary, it is worth noting that if you rotate the hoop with osteochondrosis of the lumbar region, the entire load falls on the affected area. The hoop may relieve the pain, but after a while it will come back again and with greater force.
Hirudotherapy as a method of treating osteochondrosis
It is possible and possible to cure the disease with hirudotherapy! Leeches have a healing effect on the human body. Due to the action of leeches, there is a reduction in painful manifestations, enhances the therapeutic effect of drugs and physical education and accelerates the recovery process of the patient.
Leech treatment is the beneficial effect of the enzyme it produces. Such an enzyme is secreted with the help of leech saliva.
During treatment, the doctor places a leech on the affected area. The leech bites the upper layer of the skin, secreting its saliva, which can cure thrombosis, prevent blood clotting and speed up the biochemical process. Also, the action of leeches is aimed at strengthening the walls of blood vessels, as well as their dilation.
Medical leeches are completely sterile. To cure leech disease, you must follow the sequence of actions - the duration of the first two sessions of leech treatment lasts no more than thirty minutes. The third session involves the presence of a leech on the body for one hour. The wound after the leech is not treated with anything, and after the removal of the leech the patient is forbidden to lie on his back. This is necessary to prevent bleeding.
It is possible to cure osteochondrosis in both women and men with ten procedures, between which you need to take a break of five days.
And the most important rule: a timely visit to the doctor will help to avoid negative consequences.